Saturday, March 7, 2009

Chinese Teacher Fashion Show!

So this past weekend, I had the privilege of being in a Chinese fashion show with one of the primary schools I teach at. The government puts on a fashion show that is a pretty big deal here in Xioulan. All the schools in the district are included. There were different assignments of what they needed to wear. Thankfully our school was assigned the more casual subject. If we were going to have to do formal wear, we would have been in trouble. As we are often told by many of the chinese clothing workers, "no big sizes!" ha ha I highly doubt we would be able to find a dress we would be able to fit in and also be able to have the ability to breathe or even move, let alone look attractive in it! Our school chose to do seasons as well along with our casual wear assignment. Kiersten (the other teacher I teach with at school) and I chose summer. We went shopping the night before and I found a sort of dress that i would never even think of wearing back home! But I got it anyway, why not right? I talked the lady down to 32 yuan. which is about 5 bucks in USD. pretty sweet huh! I probably could have gone lower because she only seemed a little upset at it. Oh and I tried the dress on over all my clothes int he middle of the little market place, they thought that was pretty humorous ha ha. I had to see if it fit! They had no fitting room! We started looking for something for Kiersten, found something that was exactly the same colors as mine! We were brilliant! Lets be the funny looking matching Americans!! So we were and we did! Sharon, our chinese/english teacher was autumn. The school gave each of us 150 yuan to spend. Sharon just used her own clothes and kept the money, little smarty pants! But we were taken out for dinner. All the teachers in a presidental suite. Everyone doing each others makeup and having fun. Then our time came. They told me and Kiersten to be funny like ten minutes before we went on and were like seriously?! So when I pretended like someone had pushed me and I didnt know where I was. Not too many people caught it and only my roommates laughed, so I gave up and just went out normal the second time. Everyone said we did really good, and I had a great time!! As you can see from the pics! enjoy!

Being in this dress, all I could see were the ruffles so I kinda felt like a clown clompin around in daisy duck shoes!






This is the summer group!
The man in the middle didnt speak any english but he told the girls on the other side that he was very happy to be with the americans ha ha


















We were supposed to be at least 1.5 meters away from each other! I hate our american measuring system! Stupid americans!


















My students also the most adorable flower fairies on stage. They spoke better english than a lot of the teachers. They are beautiful girls!






Jace and Joell were also in the show and Jace almost had to be Snow White and wear a dress... dont ask me!

No comments:

Post a Comment